The Thaddeus Kosciuszko Monumentthe monument

in Kosciuszko Park
Milwaukee, Wisconsin


A South Side Icon

The Thaddeus Kosciuszko Monument is located in Kosciuszko Park, in historic “Lincoln Village”, on Milwaukee's South Side. It is proudly poised facing south on Lincoln Avenue at 9th Place. Milwaukee's Polish community presented the Kosciuszko Monument to the City of Milwaukee in 1905. Sixty thousand people attended the dedication. The statue originally stood at the north end of Kosciuszko Park, near Becher Street, but was moved to its present location in 1951. Over the years, countless parades, patriotic celebrations, political meetings, and other important events have been held in the shadow of the Kosciuszko Monument. Those who grew up in the neighborhood refer to the monument, with affection, as the "Kozy statue" and cherish many fond memories associated with it.

Kozy Park

photos courtesy of:
Collection: Kwasniewski, Roman B.J., 1886 – 1980
Repository: Archives, UW - Milwaukee Libraries
Rights: The Board of Regents of the UW System
Publisher: UW - Milwaukee Libraries